It took me less than a second to fix the spikes but I decided to go ahead and spray paint this thing as well since the green was hideous and I'm not actually going to be submerging it in water. I painted it with a couple coats of antique brass metallic.
When I was cleaning after being gone for what amounts to almost my entire summer, I found this salsa jar holding some odds and ends. So classy. Instead of throwing it away I decided to use it for this project by giving it a couple coats of black spray paint.
And it became the base for my photo cloche. The key to this was layers. I used a little doily which I'm not usually a fan of, but it helps the jar lid look like less of a jar lid with some paint on it. With the newly painted floral frog, a tattered photo of my mom (I'm guessing my dad carried this around for quite a while) and the ten cent glass top I found at a garage sale this summer, my little display will now keep this photo out for display and dust free.