Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Better late than never?

There was enough of a break in the weather yesterday for me to finish the project I wanted to do in time for the Spray Paint Party. Still no sunshine, but as long as it isn't raining or windy then I can deal. So I'm going in late on both the Spray Paint Party AND the Trash to Treasure Tuesday!


I have three plants in the windowsill in my bedroom. The one on the left I rescued from a Wally World clearance rack (who or what doesn't need rescuing from that place?) the one in the middle I rescued from my grandma's when she moved into a memory care facility and the one on the right is my darling shamrock I just got from IKEA.




They are all in pots of varying cream colors because I LOVE the pop of green they add to my cream and white bedroom and I didn't want the pots distracting from that.


Now houseplants aren't in "active growth" mode but they do need water occasionally. Up to now I have been using a water glass from the kitchen - it works but there is no style in that. I was thinking I wanted one of those watering cans that's little and has the long, super thin nose on it. I've been keeping my eye out when I peruse the thrift shops but haven't found one! Then on Monday I spotted this in some junk in the utility room.






It's a wee little watering can!


Not bad as is, but to be honest that kid has giant teeth and totally freaks me out. Out came the razor blade and rubbing alcohol and off came the scary child. Then I taped off the part the water comes out (didn't want to gum it up with paint) and filled the interior with newspaper to keep the paint out of there as well. I found a can of Heirloom White (but of course!) in my paint stash and went to town on it - between rain showers that is.







To match my cream and green flowers I added a band of green grosgrain ribbon (left over from Christmas projects) with some hot glue - I am so lazy I didn't even glue it all the way around - just in two places! I didn't trust myself to get it on straight and this way I can adjust it, heehee!










I also made this fake bow and glued it over the seam where the two ribbon ends met. It's two pieces of ribbon hot glued together - I am such a cheater! Bwahahaha!




But look how it matches!






Now that is watering with style.

9 comments:

B said...

Adorable! I need to get more plants in my house again, and something to water in style with.

Unknown said...

Shoot! I was going to say ADORABLE! How about fabulous!!! I love the white pots. Way to glorify the Heirloom White, girl. Thanks for linking up.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

That ribbon just makes it!!

theUngourmet said...

Sweet! I wasn't sure you should change it until I saw the results! I love it the new way!

Heather said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! Now that's a ribbon even I can do!

Clean and Classic Interiors said...

Well now that is just the cutest little watering can I have ever seen! The ribbon is perfect and much better than the boy's teeth - I agree!

Anonymous said...

Love it, the ribbon is a perfect touch!

Brittany said...

Too cute!

Megan said...

Wait, there's something wrong with using a water glass? Aw, man! Of course, if I used an adorable little can like the one you redecorated so beautifully, maybe Jon wouldn't pile up a hoard of drinking glasses by the big houseplant in the corner of our bedroom.

Ha. That was funny.

Nice job! So cute.